This is review in the series ‘Members of Missions Interlink’, Missions Interlink being ‘the Australian network for global mission’ (and a means for a Member to get income tax exemption when it might not otherwise be available, with a consequent accountability regime).
Both Members and Associates have to accept a set of standards, the introduction to which includes this statement:
They did not respond to a draft of this review.
The ACNC, in their article, Donating to Legitimate Charities, gives “some things to consider to help you make sure your donation is going where it is intended”:
- Check the charity’s name
- Ask for identification from anyone seeking a donation.
- Be careful of online requests for donations.
- No tax deduction doesn’t mean the charity is not a legitimate one.
- Find out more about how the charity says it uses donations.
1. A search on the ACNC Register of charities leads to a one in that name.
However, the website on the Register, www.globalconcern.com.au, leads to a website in the name ‘Global Concern’. This is not a registered business name.
The website that is linked from Missions Interlink is different again: www.everyhomeforchrist.org.au.
A search of the Register on the name ‘Every Home for Christ’, leads to the above charity. This is because the charity has recorded that name under ‘Also known as’.
The equation of the two can be seen on the home page of Every Home for Christ: the name in the header is ‘Every Home for Christ’, while in the footer the ACFID accreditation of the charity is described. But the description uses another two different names for the charity, ‘Every Home Global Concern Australia’, and ‘Every Home Global Concern’ , neither of which is registered:
And the second name reports its ABN as 28 004 778 081, an ABN that belongs to World Vision Australia.
The charity also operates a fund, gifts to which may be tax deductible: Every Home Global Concern Ltd Australia Overseas Fund. There is no mention of this fund on either website.
End of review.
Contact me if this charity is still in the running for your donation, and you want the answers to the other questions. A lengthier review is also possible.
- https://missionsinterlink.org.au/about/ ↑
- See here for last year’s review. ↑
- Focus on the nature of the charity’s work, its beneficiaries and the impact the charity is having in the community.Is it clear what the charity is trying to achieve and how its activities work towards its objectives?Would you like to spend your money, or time if volunteering, to support these objectives?Is the charity being transparent about its activities? [A section in the article, Donating and Volunteering]. ↑