The Australian charities regulator, the ACNC, in their Factsheet: Making sure your donation gets to where it needs to, gives “some steps to consider to help make sure your donation is going where it is intended.”
- Check the organisation’s name
- Ask for identification from anyone seeking a donation.
- Be careful of online requests for donations.
- No tax deduction doesn’t mean the charity is not a legitimate one.
- Find out more about how the charity says it uses donations.
Here are the answers for FIEMA:
1: Checked. It’s not on ASIC’s registers, so that means that it’s not an incorporated entity nor a business name. It has an ABN though, and by what it does it is a charity. So it needs to be registered with the ACNC to get exemption from income tax. But it is not so registered. Still. End of review.
(If you’d give to such an organisation, let me know and I’ll tell you more about it.)